Student Research Assistant for its Labour Market department (f/m) - Ref: 22-04
Campus Belval , 11, Porte des Sciences, L - 4366 Esch-Sur-Alzette , Luxembourg
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research
is recruiting a
Student Research Assistant for its Labour Market department (f/m)
• Ref: 22-04
• Student fixed-term contract for 12 months (part-time, max 15 hours/week)
• Enrolment as a Master student at the University of Luxembourg is mandatory
• Student work contract at LISER, Labour Market department
• Expected start date: as soon as possible
LISER invites motivated applicants for the position of Research Assistant in the framework of various research projects led by researchers in the Labour Market Department. The successful candidate will be mainly involved in using big data on job postings and other large labour market data.
As a Research Assistant, your tasks will include:
- Programming in R and Python; software to access the High-Powered Computing cluster (HPC) in Luxembourg such as Ubuntu, Jupyter;
- Applying Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML) technics to job posting data:
o Regular expressions: to perform search on words or phrases, and filtering;
o Clustering: classical network clustering but also NLP clustering with e.g. k-means, topic modelling;
o Classification: long short-term memory (LSTM) with e.g. Jax, PyTorch and TensorFlow;
o Descriptive statistics and graphics.
- Work with big data from online job vacancies in several European countries and other sources;
- Being involved in various research projects led by researchers in the Labour Market Department.
- Master student in data science, computer science or a related field;
- Excellent training in programming and data science skills;
- Ideally, a strong interest in labour economics and/or econometrics;
- Excellent verbal communication skills in English; some working knowledge of French or German would be a plus;
- Excellent collaboration skills and Interest in economic and societal questions;
- Enthusiasm for research, critical thinking and working in a diverse team.
LISER particularly encourages female students to apply.
Please submit your complete application (in English) via our online system: https://jobs.liser.lu/jobs :
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Cover letter outlining your interests in line with the department’s themes/topics (maximum 1 page);
- Certificate of enrolment at the University of Luxembourg.
Please note that the position will remain open until filled.
For administrative matters, please send an email to: email@example.com
LISER is a publicly funded research institute located in Luxembourg and dedicated to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. Multi- and interdisciplinarity is a key element for stimulating scientific innovation. The Institute attracts top researchers from all over the world and high-level doctoral training is a vibrant part of the Institute’s activities. The Institute‘s staff consists of about 180 employees (including a survey and data center), more than 50% of the staff being researchers, mainly from the fields of economics, sociology, and geography.
The Institute is located on the new Belval campus in the south of Luxembourg, which hosts the University of Luxembourg and a substantial part of the country’s publicly funded research facilities, i.e. LISER, the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS) cross-national data center, the Luxembourg institutes of Health (LIH) and of Science and Technology (LIST).
Luxembourg with its > 600,000 inhabitants is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and provides a stimulating mixture of modern culture and tradition. Contemporary urbanity of its capital lies in close vicinity to a rich nature. In addition to excellent health, education (public, private and high level international schools) and recreational services, the community affords a rich variety of cultural activities, including museums, music, art and theatre. The official languages are French, German and Luxemburgish.
Information for foreign researchers interested in Luxembourg research is accessible via the national EURAXESS platform.
LISER is an Equal Opportunity Employer