Research Associate (Post-doc) for the Labour Market department (f/m) - Ref: 23-11
Campus Belval , 11, Porte des Sciences, L - 4366 Esch-Sur-Alzette , Luxembourg
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research
is recruiting a
Research Associate (Post-doc) for the Labour Market department (f/m)
• Ref: 23-11
• Fixed-term contract for 12 months (possible extension up to 24 months upon conditions)
• Full-time, 40 hours/week
• Work contract at LISER, Labour Market department
• Expected start date: ASAP
LISER invites motivated applicants for the position of Research Associate in the framework of two research projects led by researchers in the Labour Market Department. The successful candidate will be mainly involved in quantitative theoretical modelling of multiregional labour markets.
As a Research Associate, your tasks will be the following:
- Programming in R or Python;
- Developing theoretical models using advanced mathematical tools;
- Collecting, standardizing, and manipulating data on the spatial distribution of economic activity, labour market outcomes and commuting networks;
- Designing a calibration strategy of multiregional theoretical models;
- Perform counterfactual simulations of multiregional theoretical models;
- Writing scientific papers and present results at conferences/seminars.
- Completed PhD in Economics or close to completion;
- Excellent training in programming and data science skills;
- Excellent skills in mathematical modelling including multivariate statistics, probabilistic theory, extreme value theory, random utility maximization model;
- Ideally, a strong interest in labour economics and/or mathematical statistics;
- Excellent collaboration skills and interest in economic and societal questions;
- Excellent communication skills in English; some working knowledge of French or German would be considered as an asset; Excellent writing skills, for both scientific and more policy-oriented articles are required;
- Enthusiasm for research, critical thinking and working in a diverse team.
LISER particularly encourages female candidates to apply
Please submit your complete application (in English) via https://jobs.liser.lu/jobs :
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Cover letter outlining your interests in line with the department’s themes/topics (maximum 1 page);
- Writing sample (e.g. student’s paper or chapter thesis), preferably in English;
- Copy of the PhD diploma or a document certifying the date of the defence;
- Contact details of two referees (no recommendation letters).
Please note that the position will remain open until filled.
For administrative matters, please send an email to: email@example.com
LISER is a publicly funded research institute located in Luxembourg and dedicated to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. Multi- and interdisciplinarity is a key element for stimulating scientific innovation. The Institute attracts top researchers from all over the world and high-level doctoral training is a vibrant part of the Institute’s activities. The Institute‘s staff consists of about 180 employees (including a survey and data center), more than 50% of the staff being researchers, mainly from the fields of economics, sociology, and geography.
The Institute is located on the new Belval campus in the south of Luxembourg, which hosts the University of Luxembourg and a substantial part of the country’s publicly funded research facilities, i.e. LISER, the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS) cross-national data center, the Luxembourg institutes of Health (LIH) and of Science and Technology (LIST).
Luxembourg with its > 600,000 inhabitants is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and provides a stimulating mixture of modern culture and tradition. Contemporary urbanity of its capital lies in close vicinity to a rich nature. In addition to excellent health, education (public, private and high level international schools) and recreational services, the community affords a rich variety of cultural activities, including museums, music, art and theatre. The official languages are French, German and Luxemburgish.
Information for foreign researchers interested in Luxembourg research is accessible via the national EURAXESS platform.
LISER is an Equal Opportunity Employer