Research Assistant in the field of climate change and machine learning research (f/m) - Ref: 23-14
Campus Belval , 11, Porte des Sciences, L - 4366 Esch-Sur-Alzette , Luxembourg
LISER (Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research)
is recruiting a Research Assistant
in the field of climate change and machine learning research (f/m)
• Ref: 23-14
• Expected start date: July 2023
• Duration: 2 months
• Full-time working contract at LISER, Urban Development and Mobility department (UDM)
LISER invites motivated applicants for the position of Research Assistant to join the research teams at the Urban Development and Mobility department (UDM) at LISER within the framework of the research project « US Contrail Outbreaks before and during COVID-19 (COVID-Contrail) ».
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Develop and improve your methodological and programming competences in the fields of deep learning, computer vision, satellite image processing, and climatology;
- Develop rigorous scientific research attitude and methods for solving specific problems;
- Learn how to write an academic paper and publish it in a peer-reviewed journal;
- Actively participate in a stimulating research environment and an innovative team.
As a Research Assistant, your tasks will be to:
- (Pre-)process and clean unlabeled and labeled large satellite imagery data and flight tracking data, possibly in high performance computing (hpc) systems;
- Study and develop deep learning methods applied for automated pattern detection (classification) in large satellite imagery data;
- Implement the developed algorithms using Python/PyTorch to test and compare the performance of the proposed algorithms;
- Participate in research paper writing and other activities related to the project.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer/Data Sciences, Electronic Engineering, or a related discipline;
- Good programming skills and knowledge in deep learning and satellite image processing;
- Knowledge of Python, PyTorch, Shell scripting, and Git would be considered as an asset;
- Data handling skills for both raster-based and vector-based large spatial data would be a plus;
- Fluency (oral and written) in English, any other language would be considered as an asset.
- A dynamic and challenging international research environment;
- An attractive remuneration.
LISER is a publicly funded research institute located in Luxembourg and dedicated to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. Interdisciplinarity is a key element for stimulating scientific innovation. The Institute attracts top researchers from all over the world and high-level student training is a vibrant part of the Institute’s activities. The Institute‘s staff consists of about 180 employees, more than 50% of the staff being researchers, mainly from the fields of economics, sociology, and geography (see www.liser.lu).
The Institute is located on the new Belval campus in the south of Luxembourg, which hosts the University of Luxembourg and a substantial part of the country’s publicly funded research facilities, i.e. LISER, the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS) cross-national data center, the Luxembourg institutes of Health (LIH) and of Science and Technology (LIST).
Luxembourg with its > 600,000 inhabitants is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and provides a stimulating mixture of modern culture and tradition. Contemporary urbanity of its capital lies in close vicinity to a rich nature. In addition to excellent health, education (public, private and high level international schools) and recreational services, the community affords a rich variety of cultural activities typical of a major university environment, including museums, music, art and theatre. The official languages are French, German and Luxemburgish. Information for foreign researchers interested in Luxembourg research is accessible via the national EURAXESS platform.
Please submit your complete application in English through our online system https://jobs.liser.lu/jobs :
– Motivation letter in English (max. 1 page);
– CV in English;
– Copies of Bachelor’s degree diplomas and transcripts (translated into English if not originally issued in Luxembourgish, French, German or English).
Please note that this position will remain open until filled.
For administrative matters, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
LISER is an Equal Opportunity Employer