Postdoctoral fellow in Health Economics (M/F)
Campus Belval , 11, Porte des Sciences, L - 4366 Esch-Sur-Alzette , Luxembourg
The Luxembourg Institute of Health (LIH) is a public research organisation at the forefront of biomedical sciences. With its strong expertise in population health, oncology, infection and immunity as well as storage and handling of biological samples, its research activities impact on people’s health. At the Luxembourg Institute of Health, devoted scientists investigate disease mechanisms to develop new diagnostics, innovative therapies and effective tools to implement personalised medicine. The institution is the first supplier of public health information in Luxembourg, a strong cooperation partner in local and international projects and an attractive training place for ambitious early stage researchers.
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER) a publicly funded research institute located in Luxembourg and devoted to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. Interdisciplinarity is a key element for stimulating scientific innovation. The institute attracts top researchers from all over the world and high-level student training is a vivid part of the institute’s activities. The institute staff consists of about 130 employees, of which about 70 of them are researchers from the fields of economics, sociology, political sciences and geography (www.liser.lu). Based on its scientific expertise and academic reputation, the institute addresses current and future societal challenges and provides relevant and independent policy advice both at national and international level.
POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW IN HEALTH ECONOMICS (M/F)
Full time, 40 hrs/week
fixed term contract: 2 years , entry date immediate
The holder of the position is expected to equally share her/his work between both institutes
A postdoctoral position in health economics is available, funded jointly by the Luxembourg Institute of Health (LIH) and the Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER). The successful candidate will work jointly with the Department of Population Health (DoPH) at the LIH and in the Living Conditions Department of LISER, to develop and promote applied health economic research in Luxembourg.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The suitable candidate will be expected to cover the following responsibilities:
· Undertake and advise on state-of-the-art quantitative analysis in a potentially wide range of areas to which health economics and health econometrics can add value. This may include the evaluation of health technologies, health services and/or public health interventions, in terms of effectiveness and cost-effectiveness. It may also include the evaluation of the performance of health care providers, and of ways in which performance may be enhanced
· While keeping a broad interest in various topics (see above), develop a distinct health economics research agenda in at least one area of personal interest. Potential areas may include the economics of mental health or health behaviours
· Work within a multidisciplinary team of researchers, clinicians, modellers, statisticians and economists in appraising evidence on a potentially wide range of areas (which may include the above-listed).
· Write academic publications and reports, and participate actively in international conferences for the dissemination of the results
· Contribute to forging closer links and collaboration between LIH and LISER
· Conduct research projects with academic and non-academic partners that fit into the thematic of the institutes
· Contribute actively to promoting the use of health economic evidence in national and international decision-making in health care and public health
· Critically assess the quality, validity and relevance of available data
· Apply for funding at both national and international level
· Participate in the preparation of conferences relating to the work carried out.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· PhD in health economics, economics, statistics or related field
· Excellent knowledge of a wide range of quantitative health economic methodologies, including economic evaluation, health econometrics, evidence synthesis and preference elicitation
· Experience in the statistical analysis of large databases
· Excellent communication and collaborative skills in a multi-disciplinary environment
· Ability to work independently
· Excellent track record of peer-reviewed publications
· Experience in the writing of grant proposals
· Languages skills: fluent command of English; command of one or more of the local languages (French, German, Luxembourgish) is an advantage
· Excellent English writing skills
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY
Luxembourg with its nearly 600,000 inhabitants is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and provides a stimulating mixture of modern culture and tradition. Contemporary urbanity of its capital lies in close vicinity to a rich nature. In addition to excellent health, education (public, private and high level international schools) and recreational services, the community affords a rich variety of cultural activities typical of a major university environment, including museums, music, art and theatre. The country is about to become a five language nation. Besides the official languages French, German and Luxemburgish, English, Italian and Portuguese are frequently spoken. The working languages at the institute are French and/or English.
Applications including a cover letter, a full curriculum vitae, a copy of relevant diplomas and the contact details of 2 references should be sent before 31st July 2018 through our website Postdoctoral Fellow in Health Economics - LH0618
Please note that the applications will be redirected to LIH site. LISER and LIH will jointly treat them.
The deadline for applications is 31st July 2018.
Send queries to: email@example.com
Located in Luxembourg, the Institutes offer the opportunity to work in a dynamic, international and multilingual environment that values personal respect and professional achievement based on the highest intellectual and ethical standards. The remuneration for this position shall be based on qualification and experience. The institutes are Equal Opportunity Employer