Intern in the field of Microsimulation (m/f) - Ref: 20-14
Campus Belval , 11, Porte des Sciences, L - 4366 Esch-Sur-Alzette , Luxembourg
LISER (Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research)
an Intern in the field of Microsimulation (m/f)
• Ref: 20-14
• Starting date: as soon as possible
• University registration required
• Full-time internship (up to 40h/week)
• Duration: 3 months
LISER is looking for a highly motivated candidate to join the « Living Conditions » department. The selected intern will be involved in updating the policy rule of micro simulation models:
1. Tax-benefit microsimulation model for the European Union (EUROMOD)
EUROMOD is a tax-benefit microsimulation model for the European Union that enables researchers and policy analysts to calculate, in a comparable manner, the effects of taxes and benefits on household incomes and work incentives for the population of each country and for the EU as a whole. The model is unique in its area as it features a great flexibility in the scope of its simulations and ensures cross-country consistency of the modelling approach and comparability of the results. The model is open access, with an increasing number of users across Europe and beyond. The Luxembourg team oversees the model maintenance and development of Luxembourg part, working in collaboration with the Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER) at the University of Essex, UK.
2. Luxembourg Tax Benefit Microsimulation model (LuxTaxBen)
LuxTaxBen is a behavioral micro-simulation model that contains precise information on income tax rules, as well as eligibility rules for a number of welfare programs, such as social assistance, housing allowance etc. The model can handily be used for evaluating the effects of tax-benefit policy reforms and other changes on poverty, inequality, incentives and the governmental budget. One objective of LuxTaxBen is to give users the opportunity to analyze the effects of planned changes (new rules) in the tax-benefit system in Luxembourg. The model is flexible enough to create a new version of it by updating the database (such as administrative or survey data) or by extending the new module (such as unemployment module, childcare module etc) and/or new rules. It can simulate static (“morning after” effects) as well as behavioral effects (based on unitary household labor supply model) of a reform.
• Searching and updating the tax-benefit policy rule in Luxembourg;
• Preparing the report/document of the models.
• You follow an advanced degree (e.g. Master) in economics, econometrics, statistics or mathematics, environmental sciences or any related field with a strong emphasis in data science;
• You are data oriented;
• You have excellent programming (e.g., SAS, STATA, Python) and mathematical skills;
• You are fluent in French/German and English; any other language is considered as an asset;
• You are organized, rigorous and able to work independently;
• You are able to effectively communicate complex content;
• You are curious about careers in research (economics, statistics) or quantitative data analysis.
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER) is a publicly funded research institute located in Belval (Luxembourg) and devoted to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. The institute attracts researchers from all over the world and high-level doctoral training is part of the institute’s activities. The institute‘s staff consists of about 190 employees (including a survey and data center), about 100 staff being researchers, active in the field of economics, sociology, and geography (see www.liser.lu).
How to apply
Please submit your complete application via https://jobs.liser.lu/jobs before January 31st, 2021.
• Short cover letter outlining your interest in the proposed subject and your availability in the upcoming months
• Copy of your last diploma
• Certificate of valid university registration
For research related questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications)
For administrative matters, please contact email@example.com
LISER is an Equal Opportunity Employer