Intern in the field of demographics and spatial analysis (f/m) - Ref: 23-13
Campus Belval , 11, Porte des Sciences, L - 4366 Esch-Sur-Alzette , Luxembourg
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LISER)
is recruiting an
intern in the field of demographics and spatial analysis (f/m)
• Ref: 23-13
• Starting date: May/June 2023
• 3 months full-time internship (40h/week)
• Mandatory internship agreement
LISER is looking for a highly motivated student to join the Urban Development and Mobility (UDM) department at LISER within the framework of the research project « Impact of teleworking on urban structures (TELE-SIM) ». More information about the project, can be found here : https://liser.elsevierpure.com/en/projects/impact-of-teleworking-on-urban-structures
This internship will provide you with the opportunity to :
- Expand your knowledge of statistical indicators for several European countries;
- Improve your methodological and coding skills in R/Python;
- Develop a practical approach to working on large scale research;
- Opportunity to contribute to academic publications and outputs;
- Opportunity to participate in training and seminars within LISER.
- Identify a range of economic and demographic indicators relating to teleworking;
- Collect statistical data for over 400+ cities across several European countries;
- Become efficient at being able to identify and locate required data and information;
- Develop a deep understanding of country specific differences in statistical indicators measured;
- Learn about the differences in local administrative area data across Europe;
- Contribute to drafting academic research papers.
- Master student in Economics, Geography, Geocomputation or a related discipline;
- Excellent knowledge of socio-demographic and economic indicators;
- Previous experience using small area statistical data is required;
- Good programming skills in R or Python or other languages;
- Experience working with spatial data;
- Fluency (oral and written) in English, any other language would be considered as an asset;
- Flexibility and ability to work independently.
Please submit your complete application via https://jobs.liser.lu/jobs :
1. Curriculum Vitae (max 2 pages);
2. Short cover letter (max 1 page) outlining:
- your particular interest in this internship;
- your knowledge/skills related to this topic;
- your availability.
3. Valid certificate of university registration.
Please note that this internship position will remain open until filled.
For project-related information, please contact Dr. Paul Kilgarriff at firstname.lastname@example.org
For administrative matters, please contact email@example.com
LISER is a publicly funded research institute located in Luxembourg and dedicated to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. Interdisciplinarity is a key element for stimulating scientific innovation. The Institute attracts top researchers from all over the world and high-level student training is a vibrant part of the Institute’s activities. The Institute‘s staff consists of about 190 employees, more than 50% of the staff being researchers, mainly from the fields of economics, sociology, and geography (see www.liser.lu).
The Institute is located on the new Belval campus in the south of Luxembourg, which hosts the University of Luxembourg and a substantial part of the country’s publicly funded research facilities, i.e. LISER, the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS) cross-national data center, the Luxembourg institutes of Health (LIH) and of Science and Technology (LIST).
LISER is an Equal Opportunity Employer