Head of Quality Assurance & Processes (m/f)
Campus Belval , 11, Porte des Sciences, L - 4366 Esch-Sur-Alzette , Luxembourg
The Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research is recruiting a
Head of Quality Assurance & Processes (m/f)
• Permanent position
• Ref: 18-14
In order to support LISER’s Chief Executive Officer and the three heads of research departments, especially with regards to various support functions such as operations, finance, information technology and general administration, project management the institute has created the function of Head of Quality Assurance & Processes.
This is a very sensitive senior position that requires a broad variety of technical competencies as well as outstanding interpersonal and social skills. Apart from proven organizational skills, the successful candidate needs to have had a sound exposure to business operations, ideally acquired in a multicultural and multidisciplinary working environment.
The Head of Quality Assurance & Processes acts as business facilitator and influencer. Her/his main duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- assuring the implementation and conduction of continuous improvement processes;
- leading, chairing and organizing the operational management board of the institute;
- assuring that operational and financial resources are efficiently and soundly allocated at all times;
- assuring that management and research teams receive the adequate operational and technical support at all times;
- advising and informing the management and the board of directors with regards to new business opportunities, cost control, and risk management (operational and financial risk);
- facilitating a broad variety of projects and ventures;
- assuring an effective and efficient cooperation between the different business units and departments;
- assuring an efficient, transparent and reliable flow of information and a smooth and seamless communication process throughout the organization;
- assisting the management and board of directors to articulate their own roles and accountabilities and implement a quality performance monitoring;
- acting as an advocate, within the public and private sectors, for issues relevant to LISER, its activities and constituencies;
- advising and informing the management of the institution in its interactions with the press, other businesses, community and associations, and government agencies;
- organizing, structuring and monitoring the management control system of the institute;
- identifying, assessing and managing the risks (financial, reputational, operational) related to the activities of the institute;
- assisting the management and board of directors in the development of budgets;
- implementing a budget monitoring system;
- assessing the reliability of financial accounts and information (“Four Eyes principle”).
For this critical coordination role, only experienced and seasoned candidates with an impeccable business reputation will be considered. The retained candidate needs to have a demonstrated track record of achievements and a relevant experience in a managerial position. S/he needs to have excellent interpersonal and outstanding communication skills as well as persuading and influencing competencies. The successful candidate needs to demonstrate initiative and entrepreneurial spirit, a high level of energy and commitment, a strong result orientation, and absolute personal integrity. S/he convinces with a positive attitude and communication, is dynamic and open-minded.
Education: An academic education equivalent to MSc or Master is mandatory. An additional qualification, e.g. an MBA from a renowned university, is considered as an advantage.
Languages: Excellent command of English, French (written and spoken) is required, additional fluency in Luxembourgish and/or German would be a distinct competitive advantage.
- Relevant professional experience of minimum 10 years in a senior management position, ideally acquired in a larger organization or company;
- Familiarity and proven experience in an academic working environment (university, scientific research body or equivalent) is a competitive advantage;
- Confirmed operational expertise and proven people management skills are mandatory;
- Strong international exposure is a plus;
- Excellent influencing and communication skills are mandatory;
- Solid experience in the management of budgets, financial planning and account management is necessary;
- Solid understanding of legal and compliance matters is necessary;
- Diplomacy and negotiation skills are critical;
- Team building skills with proven experience in developing and maintaining a strong senior management team;
- Outstanding motivation skills with high level of responsibility, result-oriented, mature and capable of working in teams.
- Immaculate professional reputation;
- Absolute personal integrity;
- Planning and organizing skills;
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills;
- Strong analytical skills and business judgment;
- Entrepreneurial spirit;
- Problem solver, pragmatic and creative;
- Very pro-active person and positive thinker;
- Business sense, good judgment;
- Hands-on, doer;
About LISER departments
The Labour Market department’s research interests relate to both the supply (intrahousehold allocation and specific groups such as migrants and cross-border workers) and demand (firm organisational practices) sides of the labour market. Also the ways offer and demand interact and are affected by public interventions are studied through the lenses of labour relations and through policy evaluation techniques. The department is multidisciplinary and makes use of theoretical, quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
The Living Conditions department studies the multiple dimensions of individuals’ and families’ life, from early childhood to old age, through education, fertility and family formation, from employment to retirement. Quantitative, typically survey-based research, examines household income, wealth, inequality, poverty, and social inclusion from a variety of perspectives. The impact evaluation of educational, family, health and wider social policy on living conditions is an integral part of the research agenda.
The Urban Development and Mobility department. Spatial, economic and social dimensions of urbanisation, interactions between daily and residential mobility, cross-border cooperation and integration, and land market, residential real estate prices and housing policy are the main topics addressed by the Urban Development and Mobility department. Among else, the department hosts the Housing Observatory (since 2003) producing statistics and analyses related to the residential land and real estate markets in Luxembourg.
LISER also hosts a Data Centre unit and collects a wide range of survey data on households and individuals. LISER is collecting the national components of the European Union Statistics on Income and Living Conditions, the Survey on Health Ageing and Retirement in Europe, and the Household Finance and Consumption Survey, exploitation of which is strongly encouraged for cross-national, comparative research.
LISER offers a vibrant and highly stimulating international research environment. It is a publicly funded research institute located in Luxembourg and devoted to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. Interdisciplinarity is a key element for stimulating scientific innovation. The institute attracts top researchers from all over the world and high-level student training is a vivid part of the institute’s activities. LISER is well connected to the University of Luxembourg, and also to the top universities both worldwide and in the cross-border neighbourhood.
Based on its scientific expertise and solid academic reputation, the institute addresses current and future societal challenges and provides relevant and independent policy advice both on the national and on the European level. The scientific output is not only regularly published in high profile peer reviewed journals and books, but also in form of articles reaching a wider audience. The institute staff consists of about 70 researchers from all over the world active in the fields of economics, sociology, political sciences and geography (see www.liser.lu).
About LISER environment
The institute is located in the Cité des Sciences on the new Belval campus in the south of Luxembourg, hosting the University of Luxembourg and a substantial part of the country’s publicly funded research facilities. The Cité des Sciences is a unique and outstanding academic enterprise in the heart of Europe.
Luxembourg with its 500,000 inhabitants is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and provides a stimulating mixture of modern culture and tradition. Contemporary urbanity of its capital lies in close vicinity to a rich nature. In addition to excellent health, education (public, private and high level international schools) and recreational services, the community affords a rich variety of cultural activities typical of a major university environment, including museums, music, art and theatre. The country is about to become a five language nation. Besides the official languages French, German and Luxemburgish, English, Italian and Portuguese are frequently spoken. The working languages at the institute are English and/or French. http://www.euraxess.lu/
You will be directly reporting to the management and to the board of directors of LISER.
The remuneration is commensurate with the seniority and importance of the position.
Applicants should provide the following:
1. curriculum vitae;
2. cover letter
3. three reference letters (can also be sent separately to email@example.com)
Send applications via the following link : https://jobs.liser.lu/jobs
Applications will be processed on-goingly. Early application is encouraged as the applications are processed upon reception. The deadline for applications is July 15th, 2018.
LISER is an Equal Opportunity Employer