Internship in the field of transportation/machine learning research (m/f) - Ref: 21-37
Campus Belval , 11, Porte des Sciences, L - 4366 Esch-Sur-Alzette , Luxembourg
LISER (Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research)
an intern in the field of transportation/machine learning research (m/f)
• Ref: 21-37
• Starting date: March 2022
• Duration: 3-4 months
• Mandatory internship agreement
LISER is looking for a motivated student to join the research teams at the Department of Urban Development and Mobility at LISER and the MobiLab at the University of Luxembourg within the framework of the research project « Multimodal Electric VEhicle demand RESponsive Transport (M-EVRST) ».
For more information, please see : https://liser.elsevierpure.com/en/projects/multimodal-electric-vehicle-demand-responsive-transport.
This internship will provide you with the opportunity to:
- develop and improve your methodological and programming competences in the fields of machine learning, operations research, and transportation system engineering;
- develop rigorous scientific research attitude and methods for solving specific problems;
- learn how to write an academic paper and publish it in a peer-reviewed journal;
- actively participate in a stimulating research environment and innovative teams of the project.
- Study reinforcement learning methods applied for transportation systems, in particular demand responsive transport systems;
- Develop (deep) reinforcement learning algorithms for operational policy design of (integrated) demand responsive transport services using electric vehicles;
- Implement the developed algorithms using Julia/Python/Matlab to test the performance of the proposed algorithms and compare with state-of-the-art methodologies using numerical test instances;
- Participate in research paper writing;
- Participate in the other activities related to the project.
- Master student in Computer Sciences, Engineering or a related discipline;
- Good programming skills and knowledge in mathematics and/or operations research;
- Knowledge of Julia, Python or Matlab would be considered as an asset;
- Fluency (oral and written) in English, any other language would be considered as an asset.
A mandatory internship agreement for a period of 3-4 months in a dynamic and challenging international research environment with an attractive remuneration.
LISER is a publicly funded research institute located in Luxembourg and dedicated to applied empirical research in economic, social and spatial sciences. Interdisciplinarity is a key element for stimulating scientific innovation. The Institute attracts top researchers from all over the world and high-level student training is a vibrant part of the Institute’s activities. The Institute‘s staff consists of about 180 employees, more than 50% of the staff being researchers, mainly from the fields of economics, sociology, and geography (see www.liser.lu).
The Institute is located on the new Belval campus in the south of Luxembourg, which hosts the University of Luxembourg and a substantial part of the country’s publicly funded research facilities, i.e. LISER, the Luxembourg Income Study (LIS) cross-national data center, the Luxembourg institutes of Health (LIH) and of Science and Technology (LIST).
Luxembourg with its > 600,000 inhabitants is one of the wealthiest countries in the world and provides a stimulating mixture of modern culture and tradition. Contemporary urbanity of its capital lies in close vicinity to a rich nature. In addition to excellent health, education (public, private and high level international schools) and recreational services, the community affords a rich variety of cultural activities typical of a major university environment, including museums, music, art and theatre. The official languages are French, German and Luxemburgish. Information for foreign researchers interested in Luxembourg research is accessible via the national EURAXESS platform.
Please submit your complete application via https://jobs.liser.lu/jobs :
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. Short cover letter outlining:
your particular interest in this internship;
your knowledge/skills related to this topic;
your availability during the months from March to July 2022.
3. Certificate of valid university registration.
Please note that this internship position will remain open until filled.
For project-related information, please contact Dr. Tai-Yu MA at email@example.com
For administrative matters, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
LISER is an Equal Opportunity Employer